What to do with extra carrots…
Make doggie treats, of course!
Low Fat Carrot Dog Treats
1 medium banana (smashed)
1c. shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
1 egg, beaten
1.5c. whole wheat flour
1c. instant oats
1/4c. water (or apple juice)
(Let your puppy help by posing with the ingredients)
- Heat oven to 350*, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and mix in the shredded carrots.
- Add water to bananas and carrots.
- Stir in flour and oats until well combined.
- Knead the mixture on a floured surface until a dough ball forms.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Cut fun shapes out of the dough (bones, circles), or simply cut the dough into squares
- Transfer treats to baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes.
*Mixing the ingredients can also be done in a food processor. Follow the order of addition of ingredients and process until a dough forms, then knead and proceed as above.*
If you want crispy treats, turn off the oven and leave the treats in the oven until they are cool.
Final step: Feed to your favorite pup and watch his tail wag!