I had a bag of baby carrots giving me the evil eye this morning. Perhaps the Easter Bunny stole my appetite for raw carrots, or perhaps the thought of transforming innocent carrots into a delicious and portable snack for the week piqued my interest. For whatever reason, I had an insatiable urge to use them. I could just pack baby carrots as a snack for work, I could just roast them in the oven- but neither of those consumption methods interested me.
So, out of boredom and necessity, these delicious orange muffins were born.
- 1/3 c. plus 2TB plus 2 tsp. white rice flour
- 1/3 c. plus 2TB plus 2 tsp. tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. chai spice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c. finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. molasses (can also just use 1/4 c. brown sugar instead of white sugar + molasses)
- 2 TBSP vegetable/canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 12-cup muffin pan with muffin papers (or grease and lightly dust the muffin pan with rice flour)
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, mix well.
- Pour batter into muffin cups
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.