If you come over to our house for dinner and we serve salad, this is the salad dressing that I will douse your leafy greens with.
Adapted from Emily (a fellow Denisonian) at Daily Garnish, I have been pouring this dressing over every food imaginable. I swear that this stuff is 100% better than any bottled dressing you can buy!
The only “odd” ingredient in this salad dressing is Nutritional Yeast (also nicknamed “nooch”). Nutritional yeast looks like yellow flaky fish food, but it imparts a deliciously nutty and almost cheesy flavor to whatever it’s sprinkled in. I made some smashed potatoes and added in some nooch and garlic powder, and wow- they were absolutely delicious. If you want more info on this superfood, check out the Wikipedia page for Nutritional Yeast.
Nutritional yeast can be ordered online (check out iHerb.com for online ordering), but if you live in Lexington, you can find it at Good Foods in the bulk bins (my friend Haley works there, I’m sure she’d be happy to help you!) You can also find it pre-packaged at Kroger in the natural foods section, near the baking spices and honeys.
Simply Delicious Salad Dressing
- 3 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil (or any oil)
- 2 TBSP soy sauce (we used low sodium; tamari, liquid aminos or regular soy would work as well)
- 1.5 TBSP coarse ground mustard (we used 2 packets of Gulden’s that we swiped from Panera)
- 1 TBSP vinegar (we used rice wine vinegar, lemon juice works well too)
- 4 TBSP water
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Put all ingredients into a jar with a lid and SHAKE!
- Pour over salads and try not to drink the dressing straight from the jar…