Make soy-lemon cookies!
You’re probably thinking that soy lemon cookies sound absolutely disgusting. Soy=tofu or edamame (neither of which belong in cookies), and lemons? Well maybe the lemon part sounds ok.
I can assure you that these cookies are DELICIOUS!
We purchased a bag of soy flour on our last grocery trip, and once all of the refrigerated goods were put away, I immediately started scouring the internet for recipes for soy flour.
Why soy flour? For starters, it is a gluten free flour! Soy flour also boasts a whopping 14g of protein per 1/4 cup! Soy flour also has a good amount of fiber (6g, fiber is your friend)!
Anyways, here is our take on a Soy Lemon Cookie recipe that we found online!
Soy Lemon Cookies
- 3 TBSP melted butter or oil
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 c. soy flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 TBSP water
- Preheat oven to 325
- Melt butter (if using) and mix in sugar, add in lemon zest.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt 3 times to lighten the flour mixture.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar, stir.
- Add water and lemon juice, mix until a crumbly dough forms
- You now have 2 options: shape dough into a rectangle on a greased pan, cut into cookies. Another option: roll dough in plastic wrap, store in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Slice dough and place onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes
*I had a clumsy moment while baking these when I spilled nearly all of the lemon juice. I cannot wait to make these again with the full amount of lemon juice!*
Just too pretty. Recognize the Orange Leaf spoon?