We were very happy to have our friends, Wes and Laura over for dinner this week. We had been planning a dinner for a while, but busy schedules kept interrupting our plans! Daniel’s mom brought back some goodies from her recent trip to Italy, one of those goodies being Cuttlefish Ink Pasta, or Tagliatelle al nero di seppia.
We decided we needed a special occasion to make this black-as-night pasta. One reason we wanted to have friends over is so that Daniel wouldn’t have to eat loads of the black pasta for days (the perks of being married to a gluten-free wife), and we also wanted to share in the possible agony/amusement of having black teeth and tongues with friends!
Daniel whipped up a delicious semi-homemade pasta sauce which included:
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Garlic and Shallots (from the garden!)
- Olive Oil
- White Wine
The tomato sauce was SERIOUSLY delicious, I wish he had made an entire gallon!I served a Massaged Kale salad alongside the pasta, and Wes & Laura brought over a delicious “raw brownie” made with nuts, dates and cocoa!
Massaged Kale Salad with White Beans and Tomatoes
- 1 head kale, cut into thin strips, washed and drained
- 1 can Great Northern Beans (or any other white bean), drained
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 6 strips Turkey Bacon, crisped in a skillet (optional)
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 TBSP finely chopped Sundried Tomatoes (optional, but awesome!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- After kale has been rinsed, transfer to a large bowl. With clean hands, rub kale between your hands until the kale darkens in color and begins to feel “softer”.
- After the whole bowl has been massaged, add your beans and tomatoes.
- Mix together dressing (olive oil, vinegar, sundried tomatoes, salt and pepper), and toss salad gently to coat.
- Let salad sit in fridge at least 30 minutes for the flavors to permeate kale, add chopped bacon just before serving.